Covering multiple disciplines in a team-based environment from firmware to software to electronics;
Embedded software design engineers will primarily focus on creating bare metal C code solutions for
various microprocessors on custom designed electronic printed circuit boards. Such development often
goes hand in hand with writing PC software to complement both testing and end user applications coded
using C# and Microsoft’s Visual Studio integrated development environment.
Design engineers contribute to the full design lifecycle of Instro’s products, including but not limited to
specifications, system architecture, UI/UX design, peer review, source control, deployment, design for
manufacture, productionisation, testing, training, and project management both internally and
occasionally interfacing with external customers or suppliers.
Main duties & responsibilities
- To develop firmware and software solutions for Instro’s products as part of an agile multidisciplinary
- To document designs and maintain clear records of all work in accordance with procedures.
- To facilitate the internal audit process when required through the provision of necessary information.
- To support customers both internally and externally with troubleshooting software system solutions
- To carry out other tasks as may be requested from time to time by the Engineering Director.
- An Engineering or Computer Science degree (2:1) or equivalent preferred
- Professional registration encouraged
- Ability to deliver software projects, thinking conceptually and translating design
requirements into viable technical solutions
- Extensive experience in software design and test
- Experience developing with: C, C++, C# .NET
- Practical, hands-on experience helping design/develop and support electromechanical product
- Full software lifecycle experience (documentation, design, development, testing, revision control systems and maintenance)
- Structured design methodology (UML or similar)
- Experience working within small teams and with Agile principles
- Experience working with and developing/debugging for a range of embedded
microcontrollers including the ARM Cortex family advantageous
- Experience of Android software development advantageous
- Advantageous to have a high-level understanding of electronics (e.g. digital
circuitry to level of schematic review)
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to self-manage a project to agreed timescales
- Able to capture/create software requirements
- Confident and self-motivated
- Creative and practical problem solver
- Aptitude for continuous improvement
- Keen eye for detail
- Works well with others
- Results orientated, awareness of the importance of budgets and deadlines,
ability to manage work within these constraints
- Communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Embedded software, C/C++
- Visual Studio C#.net (WinForms, WPF, Xamarin)
- Knowledge of Cross platform (Android) application development desirable
- Electronics knowledge desirable
- Scrum or similar methodologies for team-based product development
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude
- Team focused
- Customer / quality focused
- Outcome / solution focused
This job description is provided to assist the job holder to know what his/her main duties are. It may be
amended from time to time without change to the level of responsibility appropriate to the role.
Due to the nature of the work all candidates must be eligible to obtain security clearance to SC level.
- Competitive salary, company profit sharing scheme, stakeholder pension and
death in service scheme.
- Rewards and recognition scheme.