Discovery Park is entering an exciting new phase of its development, with a new incubator facility opening later in the year, our Manufacturing Village vision developing, and innovative tenants working on ambitious plans. We’re looking for an enterprising and focused Chief Business Officer – someone who shares our enthusiasm for science and innovation – to play a key role in driving the Park to further success.
If you would like to be part of the team making Discovery Park a world class and world leading science park, we’d love to hear from you. Please send your CV to Marie Dale, Executive Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Mayer Schreiber (CEO) and Dr Martino Picardo, Chair of Discovery Park.
Discovery Park Management
Discovery Park has grown to be a thriving part of the South East’s life science community over the past eight years as a multi-businessscience campus. The site offers high quality laboratory, office and manufacturing facilities, the space and support to expand, access to local finance, and a strong local scientific talent pool. It was named recently one of six prestigious UK Life Sciences Opportunity Zones by the UK Government.
The growing tenant community includes Pfizer, which built the site’s reputation as a centre for drug discovery and discovered some of the most famous drugs in the world here. Other tenants include Algaecytes, Canterbury Christ Church University, Concept Life Sciences, Firza, Genea Biomedx, LGC, Viatris, Psyros Diagnostics, VisusNano and Wren Healthcare. Discovery Park is home to 160+ companies employing 3,500 employees in total.
The park is focused on becoming a world class, world leading science park, growing and attracting innovative life sciences companies. Our exciting plans include a new Incubator facility in Building 500, and development of a Manufacturing Village, working with tenants and partners to bring new activities to site. These activities include the bid for a £60m Accelerated Medicines Design and Development facility.
Main Purposes of the Job
The CBO’s primary job purpose is to drive forward the development of Discovery Park as a world class and world leading science park and deliver strong business growth.
This will be achieved by driving the strategic development of the park, delivering proactive business development initiatives and activities, and building a collaborative community on site along with a focus on innovation.
Working closely with the CEO and senior leadership team, the CBO will play a key role in shaping the vision, mission and strategy of the park in order to achieve the company’s growth ambitions.
The CBO will be responsible for leading the small Business Development team and will ensure that the team’s focus and activities are aligned with the company’s growth strategy and goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic development activities
- Develop key scientific focus areas.
- Make Discovery Park an attractive place for life science businesses.
- Develop strategies that will drive growth and new occupancy/tenancy on site.
- Identify and develop new strategic business opportunities, partnerships and collaborations.
- Build and maintain relationships with academia, industry bodies, DiT, government and other stakeholders.
- Proactive Business Development activities
- Design, formulate and implement an effective results-driven sales strategy.
- Develop an effective marketing strategy and plan and oversee delivery.
- Build long term relationships with life science businesses.
- Actively promote the park across the UK and abroad.
- Proactive outreach to new sales (new occupancy) opportunities.
- Develop strong pipeline of sales opportunities and convert to occupancy.
- Develop support offerings to attract new business opportunities, such as the Discovery Park Runway which offers a range of support services
- A focus on delivering against the Company objectives, set by the Board and our Investors.
Building a collaborative community
- Develop and nurture the businesses on site.
- Further build the supportive eco-system by developing new opportunities/ offerings and driving engagement and collaboration between businesses.
- Provide business support and handholding – advice, mentoring, access to finance and talent – to enable growth.
- Identify collaborative opportunities on site.
- Identify skills/ talent needs and address any gaps.
- Deliver wide range of events and seminars on site.
- Deliver networking events and opportunities for business networking and engagement.
- Develop new innovation activity and projects that will drive science activity and growth on site.
- Engagement with local universities to create spin out opportunities.
- Support the creation of an incubator and scale-up programme.
- An appreciation of the “dating agency” approach to innovation and its role for Discovery Park in building an Innovation ecosystem
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
As required by the Business and/or directed by Management
- Experience of working within Pharmaceutical, Bio Tech or Life Science Industry at senior level
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for the global life sciences sector
- Proven track record in developing and delivering new commercial opportunities
- Strong relationships with life science companies and industry bodies/associations
- Educated to degree level in a Science subject; PhD or equivalent experience
- Self-motivated with high levels of initiative
- Commercial acumen
- Strong optimism and drive with determination to excel
- Can-do approach
- Strong relationship building skills with a genuine, natural disposition
- Ability to develop relationships at senior levels across all stakeholders
- Ability to inspire and convince others
- Ability to translate vision and strategy into reality
- Ability to align teams with company values and goals
- Excellent presentation and networking skills
- Leadership skills that bring about improved performance
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills,
- Ability to perform with a high degree of professionalism, integrity and ethics
- Objective and goal-oriented approach to delivery
- Experience of developing metrics to drive strategy, provide focus and improvements.
- Some knowledge of Incubation and Innovation-related activities associated with how Science Parks can assist young start-up tenants
- Some understanding of science park operations and types of stakeholders
Note: The Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive. The job holder may be required to perform other related duties to meet the on-going needs of the Company
Full Job Description can be found here.
MindMap can be found here.