Job Title: Building 500
Department: Facilities & Engineering
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Head of Facilities & Engineering
Located in the East of England’s life sciences cluster, with close links to London, Stevenage and Cambridge, Discovery Park has grown to be a thriving part of the South East’s life science community and is the cornerstone of the UK’s healthcare sector. The growing tenant community includes Pfizer, which built the site’s reputation as a centre for drug discovery and discovered some of the most famous drugs in the world here We have a rapidly expanding and vibrant tenant community with over 160 companies, from start ups to multinationals, working in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare, technology, professional services and more. The site offers high quality laboratory, office and manufacturing facilities, the space and support to expand, access to local finance, and a strong local scientific talent pool.
The park is focused on becoming a world class, world leading science park, growing and attracting innovative life sciences companies. Our exciting plans include a new Incubator facility in Building 500, and development of a Manufacturing Village. Working with tenants and partners we look to bring new activities to site and drive forward areas such as Tech Bio/Digital Health, Industrial Biotech and Neuroscience. Discovery Park Management Ltd (DPML) supplies facilities support to the park – buildings, grounds, roads, infrastructure and communication networks. We also supply utilities to all the buildings and valuable services such as front of house, cleaning, catering and conferencing. Moving forward the focus will be on optimising our operations, continued efficiency, a focus on growth to ensure our ambitions are realised. Our core values will support a culture focused on quality and continuous improvement. We are committed to Inspirational Leadership and being People
Focused, through whom we will deliver Operational Excellence and create a Community Spirit that will shape our future and will expand Discovery Park as a global centre for life sciences and technology.
Main Purposes of the Job:
The Building Manager is required to facilitate the safe, efficient operation alongside the continued development in a tenant facing role for a 400,000 SQ/FT, 3 storey research and development facility. The building comprises primarily of BSL level 2 biology and chemistry labs, with specialised facilities in CAT 3 and hydrogenation suites and a number of office and meeting room areas. Currently 60,000 SQ/FT is occupied with a further 54,000 SQ/FT of incubation labs under refurbishment and due on-line in August 2022.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain relationships with our tenant community within specified building.
- Routinely meet with tenants to understand any concerns and brief on upcoming developments
- To work in partnership with internal departments to develop robust procedures to effectively manage tenant communications, queries, issues, and requests
- Ensuring the potential impact of project works / planned maintenance works is coordinated and communicated with building tenants
- Ensuring tenants are continually kept up to date with any interruptions to routine operation, including feedback on resolution and future prevention.
- Maintain up to date information on tenants, to include key personnel and emergency contact details for inclusion in the site incident management plan.
- Undertake periodic inspections / audits to identify and address maintenance and H&S issues in the building.
- Undertake onboarding of new tenants in collaboration with the Business Development team to ensure all risks are considered and mitigated
- Conducting periodic audits of all lab tenant activities, ensuring compliance with site policies and procedures.
- To collaborate with security and other internal/external stakeholders to develop robust procedures for effective management and communication of emergency response in the building.
- To setup and manage logistics & waste plan for the facility to include the delivery of goods / consumables / central stores and removal / storage of waste
- To provide governance over works happening within the facility by either DPML staff or Contractors
- To provide regular feedback to line manager regarding operational issues
- Liaise with other building managers on the estate to ensure best practice
- Develop safe operating procedures in relation to the common areas of B500
- Generally contributing to building the community and commercial eco system, based on responsive communication with stakeholders and adopting a proactive service ethos
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
- As required by the Business and/or directed by Management.
- Proven track record in delivering excellent customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to build rapport with key stake holders and gain an understanding of their operation
- Ability to communicate effectively through all channels and with individuals at all levels in a variety of circumstances
- Demonstrable written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to express opinions, information, and key points clearly.
- Ability to structure an effective communications strategy with key tenants
- Able to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations
- Experience of operating under pressure, demonstrating focus, prioritisation, resilience, a calm demeanour, and can-do attitude.
- Ability to problem solve, liaising as may be required with colleagues, to identify and present solutions.
- Ability to understand cultural, strategic and operations issues of key tenants
- IT skills including Microsoft Office.
- Experience within the science sector specifically chemistry or biology
- Experience of managing Incident response, including building evacuations
- Experience gained within a Facilities Management environment
- SIA License
- IOSH Managing Environmental Responsibilities
- IOSH Fire Safety for Managers
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Experience of using a variety of communication tools e.g. PA systems and radio.
- Experience of Project Management software – e.g., click up
- Ability to perform with a high degree of professionalism, integrity, and ethics.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to DPML’s core values.
To apply, please send your CV to email@example.com