Salary circa £31,000 per annum
Discovery Park, in Sandwich, Kent is a national asset and one of the best equipped life science facilities in Europe.
The site has a track record for drug discovery stretching back to the 1950’s and continues to lead the way in R&D from the search for new antibiotics to pioneering research across the life sciences.
We are a property provider to the Pharma, Immunology, life sciences and support business sector. Our multi tenanted site, spanning 220 acres, provides both office space, laboratories, warehousing and manufacturing.
With plans to reconfigure and refurbish space to meet the needs of businesses relocating to us and for residential and commercial development we will continue to build on the sites legacy as a global hub for science and innovation.
We also provide operational support to the Parks buildings, grounds, roads and infrastructure. We also supply utilities to all the buildings. Be it power, steam, gas, demineralised water or take it away.
Supporting the Business is a diverse workforce and it is important that our people are engaged, supported, developed and effectively & safely deployed within the business to deliver the Parks vision and enable effective day to day operations.
We are excited to invite applications to join our team in the role of Utilities Shift Operator.
Main purpose of the role:
The Utilities Shift Operator is responsible for the safe operation, monitoring, and control of designated Utilities plant, equipment and systems ensuring a secure supply of Utilities is maintained across the Sandwich site on a continuous shift basis.
Equipment & services includes:
• Steam generation & distribution, including condensate system & boiler feed water treatment
• Cooling towers
• Effluent collection & treatment
• Compressed Air
• Fire main and fire pumps
• LTHW generation & distribution
• Out of hours support for a range of building services
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Operate, monitor and control all designated Utilities & WWTF plant equipment and systems across the Sandwich site on a continuous basis. Optimise plant operating conditions in order to maximise operational efficiency and ensure continuity of utilities services to the site at all times
• Carry out all designated operational and maintenance activities and provide a high level of service to ensure building services to Discovery Park are monitored and maintained including heating and ventilation systems, refrigeration, steam, condensate, water systems and stability fridge/freezers
• Carry out all operations to ensure appropriate standards of health, safety and environmental compliance are maintained on shift, and follow all the necessary safe operating procedures
• Ensure that requests from customer groups for Utilities support are responded to in an effective manner in line with agreed SLA’s. Prepare plant and procedures so that all planned Utilities shift routines in customer areas are carried out in a timely and non-disruptive manner. Provide first line response to all critical buildings alarms and follow escalation procedures within agreed SLA’s
• Contribute to the identification and implementation of minor improvement projects to increase operational efficiency and decrease costs, liaising with engineering/project teams where appropriate
• Liaise closely with the maintenance team on a shift/daily basis to plan and schedule routine preventive and corrective maintenance work, including preparation of necessary permits
• Carry out designated corrective and preventive maintenance tasks on shift to support the overall maintenance strategy, for example planned routines such as lubrication, filter changing, some RBM related tasks, and unplanned tasks such as working on pumps, belts, drives etc
• Identify and report operational and maintenance problems and provide technical input and troubleshooting support to resolve these where possible. Provide technical support to the maintenance team to enable effective and timely resolution of problems
• Work flexibly and in positive cooperation with the maintenance & WWTF team
• Support designated areas out of hours where appropriate including WWTF monitoring and response to alarms
• Ability to work shifts covering 24hrs per day/365 days per year.
• Focus on delivery & Performance
• Effective team player with ability to work on own initiative.
• Ability to plan and prioritise.
To apply for this role please submit your CV and covering statement to Sarah Carroll, Head of HR & Development firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to be received by 12 noon Monday 8th October 2018.