About the Company
AlgaeCytes is focused on developing and commercialising the next generation of bioactive ingredients from sustainable and environmentally-sound resources. AlgaeCytes uses its unique algae technology in an integrated biorefining process to produce high-value algae based products, in particular omega-3 oils, polysaccharides and proteins, for the food, cosmetic and the pharmaceutical market.
The Company is seeking an energetic and organised Scientist. You will be supporting the R&D teams developing and implementing the Company’s research programme and operating the pilot scale photo bioreactor. You could also be involved in various external collaborative projects.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Support the operational activities of the pilot scale photobioreactor including sample taking/analysis, nutrient preparation and biomass harvesting operations.
- Support to manage cultures at laboratory and in scale-up bioreactors taking routine measurements (i.e. pH, temperature, nutrient analysis), samples and record physical parameters of microalgae cultures.
- Assist in ensuring that there are adequate stocks of media, reagents and consumables in the laboratory by liaising with other staff and alerting the Laboratory Manager of low stock levels.
- Perform biology diagnostics of the microalgae cultures by microscopic observations and identify predators and contaminants on the algae culture systems and their control. Use appropriate techniques to clean and disinfect culture systems as required.
- Preparation of microbiological media and products that are required for use in the laboratory.
- Conducts research experiments in accordance with laboratory and safety protocols. Preparation of sample test kits and devices for clients and subsequent analytical testing on return.
- Washing of glassware and preparation of materials before and after autoclaving. Perform runs on all autoclaves. Decontamination and disposal of laboratory waste.
- To remain up to date with technical knowledge and to take advantage of training and development provided within the scope of the role. To maintain a personal CPD record.
- Report anomalies following protocols to the Laboratory Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate requires a BSc in a science subject and preferably some relevant industry experience in microalgae and/or plants. Consideration will also be given to anyone with equivalent qualifications or experience. Must be able to work independently and flexibly and to adapt to changing priorities.
Disclaimer: the above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this role and is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. AlgaeCytes Limited reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organisational needs as necessary.
Send all enquiries FAO Carolyn Spring to:
Discovery Park House
Kent CT13 9ND
Tel: +44 (0)1304 897627
Salary will be in the range of £20-24K per annum and the closing date for applications is 30 June 2018